One of the most routine problems that we come acress at Strogen's Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Rochester is filthy air filters. They may seem like a very small piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us create comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a dirty air filter can cause a host of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to change your air filter? Here are a just a couple of the side effects you may encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the greatest issue you’ll note when your home’s air filter is very clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being swapped out, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working a lot harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder as a result of a filthy air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s working overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something gives out or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avoid any potential damage that could come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters we have, give Strogen's Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at or schedule an appointment online.