Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the hospital because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is produced by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the heating months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, Strogen's Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Put in a CO detector on each floor of your home and replace the batteries every year.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a distance over three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to verify the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a cooking range to heat your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned yearly.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating equipment is to ensure it’s not only all set to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your fall tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Strogen's Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to make sure your furnace is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 603-923-4570 today and find out how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.