Benefits of Annual Furnace Maintenance
As the temperature falls and you find yourself reaching for the thermostat more frequently, you should also reach for your phone to set up annual furnace maintenance. Making sure your furnace is at its best this winter increases your comfort, safety and peace of mind all season long.
Here’s more about what this crucial preventive task involves and why you shouldn’t neglect it.
What Is Included in Annual Furnace Maintenance?
A maintenance appointment is a surefire way to get your heating system up to par. Although the particular tasks depend on the design and age of your furnace, you can generally expect your technician to complete the following:
- Check and clean the burner: Over the years, dirt and debris can block the burner, affecting its performance. Cleaning it brings back ideal heat transfer.
- Test the gas valves: Ensuring these valves are fully open and working correctly is crucial for safe furnace operation.
- Examine the heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can cause carbon monoxide leaks, so it’s crucial to check that no cracks are present.
- Review and tighten electrical parts: Loose connections can make your furnace dangerous and inefficient. Thankfully, tightening them is a fast and easy job.
- Clean the blower: A grimy blower affects your furnace’s ability to distribute warm air through your home. Cleaning and balancing the fan assures optimal airflow.
- Replace the air filter: Clean air filters allow necessary airflow throughout your system, which is why you should always replace a clogged air filter in your furnace. Installing a clean, new air filter also improves indoor air quality if you set up a filtration system.
Reasons to Schedule Routine Furnace Maintenance
If your furnace seems to be running fine, is it still helpful to arrange a maintenance visit? Here are some of the ways furnace maintenance is beneficial:
- Decrease mid-season breakdowns: Nothing is worse than waking up on a chilly winter morning to find your furnace has stopped working. Mid-season breakdowns are stressful and can leave you scrambling to find a quick fix. Annual furnace maintenance lowers the chance of unexpected problems because your heating specialist inspects every part of your system, catching minor issues before they turn into costly repairs.
- Reduced repair costs: It’s a simple equation—the sooner you discover a problem, the less expensive it is to correct. By investing in affordable, scheduled maintenance visits, you can avoid high-priced, inconvenient repairs, keeping more money in your pocket.
- Maximize your furnace’s service life: Like a well-maintained car, a furnace that receives regular tune-ups will likely last longer than an ignored heating system. Annual maintenance helps prevent the expense of premature furnace replacement by lengthening your system’s life span.
- Increase energy efficiency: A well-maintained heating system operates more efficiently. When all the elements are clean and in good working order, your system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your household cozy. This decreases your energy bills and diminishes your environmental impact.
- Enhance indoor air quality: Polluted indoor air intensifies allergies and respiratory diseases. The air filter in your furnace captures dust, pollen and other airborne irritants to reduce these conditions. During a maintenance appointment, the technician will change the air filter at your request, ensuring cleaner air flows through your home.
- Promotes safety: A malfunctioning furnace is not only inefficient, it’s also potentially dangerous. Cracked heat exchangers or broken gas valves can cause potentially deadly carbon monoxide leaks. Knowing your system has been examined for anything that could be dangerous should give you a secure feeling this winter.
What Season Should You Schedule Your Maintenance Visit?
To enjoy the most benefits, it’s best to schedule annual furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill arrives. This is a way to make sure any issues are addressed before you begin relying heavily on your heating system.
Do-It-Yourself Furnace Maintenance Between Appointments
While professional maintenance is essential, you can perform several tasks yourself to make sure your furnace operates smoothly between visits:
- Replace the air filter every 30 to 90 days to maximize airflow.
- Keep all return and supply registers open and free of obstructions for system balance.
- Vacuum the surface of the furnace with the brush attachment to make sure it stays clean.
Choose Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for Furnace Maintenance in the U.S.
If it’s time for your next furnace maintenance tune-up, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is a heating and cooling team you can trust. Our ACE-certified technicians provide fast, long-lasting answers to all your heating and cooling problems. We’re proud to deliver solutions to everyone we can and strive to make a big difference in your everyday life and sense of comfort. We even provide a 100% satisfaction guarantee to put your mind at ease. To set your heating system up for success this winter, call 866-397-3787 today to schedule furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have transformed home comfort and made it possible to stay perfectly cozy in any season or climate. Yet, while centralized systems are a simple way to control the temperature, they in some cases fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or cooled... Continue reading
Eight Popular Heating Myths Debunked
There are many myths out there about home heating that create confusion and inefficient furnace operation. It’s time to set the record straight. Here, the heating specialists at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing get to the bottom of the eight most common myths to keep your... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the cold winter months in the U.S., there’s no better way to increase your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not simply about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about boosting efficiency and cleaning the very air you breathe. Learn... Continue reading