When severe weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system afterwards, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep paid off.
At Strogen's Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time might not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Strogen's Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Rochester, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other problems that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in Rochester or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 603-923-4570 or schedule an appointment with Strogen's Service Experts through our online scheduler.