Cooler months in Rochester are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place in the course of those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the peak of winter arrives.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners understand that their furnace could release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to keep it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be surprisingly harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that utilizes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the ability to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not operating correctly or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any troubling concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other suspicious things that might compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is running at its peak efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers could require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Strogen's Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 603-923-4570 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.