Spring is wonderful for a couple reasons: flowers are blooming, you can crack windows for fresh air and your utility bill is normally at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not relying on your heating or air.
But as temperatures begin to increase, so do your energy bills. Here are a few ideas for saving energy in Rochester and keeping bills lower.
1. Call for Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a seasonal maintenance appointment can help it run more efficiently and reduce costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep utility bills down.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is a smart time to upgrade it. The energy-saving features in newer air conditioning systems is a definite advantage for keeping your utility expenses down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s a painless way you can save up to 10% on HVAC expenses. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Figuring out how to effectively work your thermostat is the smartest way to cut down on energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Consider it this way, the smaller the difference between outdoor temperatures and indoor temperatures, the less expensive your cooling bill will be.
- When you’re out and about, set the thermostat to a considerably higher temperature or shut it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty house.
3. Experiment with Other Approaches to Cool Your Home
You can do several other things to help keep your house comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise in the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This distributes cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it moves through windows. Keep your residence more comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny spaces.
4. Look Into Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and suddenly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you think about it the full day!
Smart thermostats learn your schedule and change the temp when you’re out and about to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These pro suggestions will all help keep summer energy costs low. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 603-923-4570 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the right product for your space. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.