Spring is wonderful for a couple reasons: flowers are blooming, you can crack windows for fresh air and your energy bill is often at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not using your heat or air conditioner.
But as temperatures begin to increase, so do your energy bills. Here are some ideas for saving energy in Rochester and keeping bills lower.
1. Call for Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a seasonal maintenance appointment can help it run more efficiently and lower costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep energy bills low.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is a smart time to upgrade it. The energy-saving features in newer air conditioning systems is a definite advantage for keeping your utility expenses down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s a painless way you can save up to 10% on HVAC costs. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Figuring out how to effectively work your thermostat is the smartest way to cut down on energy charges in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Think of it this way, the smaller the difference between outside temperatures and inside temperatures, the less expensive your cooling bill will be.
- When you’re out, set the thermostat to a considerably higher temperature or turn it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty home.
3. Experiment with Other Approaches to Cool Your Home
You can do several other things to help keep your residence comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise in the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This moves cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it passes through windows. Keep your residence cooler by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny spaces.
4. Look Into Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and suddenly realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you think about it the full day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your routine and change the temp when you’re out to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy costs less expensive. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 603-923-4570 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the right product for your space. And like always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.